Friday, May 21, 2010

Truth and Lies

This book, Lies women believe, has been phenomenal! I have gotten so much and it has been so nice knowing that I'm not alone in some of my struggles as a Christian. Sometimes things will pop up and I think to myself, "What is my problem, I know I'm saved so why am I struggling with these things?" So many of my doubts, failures and questions have been explained in this book at the same time directing my attention to what God's word says about it all. It dawned on me as I read a verse the other day that defied my doubting feelings, that it is only a matter of...get this...believing what the Bible says. I know that is profound, but for some reason through the years of being a Christian I figured that if I didn't feel it then it wasn't true. I just simply have to believe the truths with the same child-like faith that I had when I accepted Christ as my Savior. What an encouragement to a weary heart that it is really this simple!!

The chapter I just finished up was on "Lies about Sin". Here are the ones that helped me.

Lie: My sin isn't really that bad.
Truth: Every act of sin is an act of rebellion against God. (Romans 5:6-7, 1 John 1:5-10) No sin is small (Proverbs 5:21, 20:27, Habakkuk 1:13, Romans 6:23, Galatians 5:19-21, James 5:19-20)

Thoughts from the book:
Those of us who have grown up in good homes or in the church and have learned how to "act right" are particularly susceptible to this deception. Our sins of wasting time, self-protection, talking to much, eating or drinking too much, a sharp tongue, a critical spirit, overspending, fear, worry, selfish motives, or complaining don't seem all that major. We may not even consider them to be sins at all preferring to think of them as weaknesses, struggles, or personality traits. Even these little sins are a big deal. The big deal was that God said "Don't" and Eve said "I will". That one, simple act of eating something god said was off-limits produced enormous consequences-in her body; her mind, will, and emotions; her relationship with God; and her marriage. If only we could see that every single sin is a big deal, that every act of sin is an act of rebellion and cosmic treason, that every time we choose our way instead of God's way, we are revolting against the God and the King of the universe. What may look "clean" when we compare ourselves to other sinners takes on a whole different cast when seen next to the perfect holiness of God. The Puritans of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries were known for their commitment to holiness and obedience. From all outward appearances, there is little for which they could be faulted. Most people do not think of them as great sinners. But as you read their writings, you discover that they thought of themselves as great sinners. Because they walked in close communion with God, they cultivated a sense of the horror of their sin, no matter how insignificant it might seem to others.


Lie: God can't forgive what I have done
Truth: The blood of Jesus is sufficient to cover any and every sin I have committed. (1 John 1:7) There is no sin too great for God to forgive. (Psalm 85:10; 130:3-4) God's grace is greater than the greatest sin anyone could ever commit. (Romans 3:24-25;6:11-14)
Thoughts from the book:
Sometimes we don't feel forgiven. We still carry a sense of guilt and shame over our failures. Though we know that God can forgive us, deep down we do not believe we are truly, fully forgiven. We find it difficult to accept God's mercy and forgiveness.


Lie: I am not fully responsible for my actions and reactions
Truth: God does not hold me accountable for the actions of others. (Genesis 3:11-13; Ezekiel 18:19-22) I am responsible for my own choices. (Psalm 51:1-10; Philippians 4:8-9; Colossians 3:1-17)
Thoughts from the book:
Adam and Eve both chose to play "the blame game" rather than take personal responsibility for their actions. God was asking for a simple admission of the Truth. He was asking them to take responsibility for their own behavior. Regardless of what had influenced them to make that choice, it was still their choice. When we take responsibility for our sins we find freedom. The enemy tells us that if we accept full responsibility for our own choices, we will be plagued with unnecessary guilt. The truth is that only by accepting full responsibility for our actions and attitudes can we ever be fully free from guilt. With sin, there's a way out.


This one was huge for me...I know these truths to be correct. It is only a matter of faith.

Lie: I cannot walk in consistent victory over sin.
Truth: If I am a child of God, I don't have to sin. (Romans 8:14) I am not a slave to sin. Through Christ, I have been set free from sin. (John 8:31-32; 14:6; Romans 6:6-7; Galatians 5:1; Hebrews 10:10) By God's grace and through the finished work of Christ on the cross, I can experience victory over sin. (John 15:5; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11; Galatians 2:20; 5:22-25)
Thoughts from the book:
Every time we choose to give in to the flesh, rather than yielding to the Spirit of God, we allow sin to gain the mastery over us. On the other hand, every time we say yes to the Spirit, we give Him greater control of our lives. When we make repeated choices to obey sin rather than God, we establish habit patterns that are extremely difficult to break-we choose to live as sin's slaves. For a while we may find ourselves trying to do right, then failing, trying and failing, trying and failing. That is when the devil begins to convince us that it can never be any different, that we will always be enslaved to that sinful habit. Remember that what we believe determines the way we live. If we believe we are going to sin, then we will. If we believe we have to live in bondage, then we will. If we believe that we can't live victorious lives, we won't. You and I are powerless to change ourselves. John 15:5...for without me ye can do nothing.

As the Puritans of old prayed:
Grant me never to lose sight of...
The exceeding sinfulness of sin,
The exceeding righteousness of salvation,
The exceeding glory of Christ,
The exceeding beauty of holiness,
The exceeding wonder of grace.

No comments: