My mind flooded with memories from my childhood with this delicious recipe. I found it the other day and had to laugh. They are your basic "Sloppy Joe's" but we rename them depending on the cook. I remember eating these at my Grandma Mckinley's house a few times and we called them "Sloppy Grandma's". Then Uncle Bob tweaked the recipe and they became "Sloppy Bob's". Now I have pulled out this timeless favorite and tweaked it yet again for our allergy needs and have named them...you guessed it..."Sloppy Kim's" This meal is the first of my Freezer Collection of recipes. I figure if I double a recipe here and there I'll have my freezer collection in no time at all. I've designated one meal a week as Freezer meal night and one as Crockpot night. That gives me two night break on cooking gourmet meals :) This recipe made enough for us to eat tonight and put two in the freezer.
Sloppy Kim's
2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 med onion
2 cloves garlic
28 oz can diced tomatoes
7oz can green chilies
1 cup ketchup
2 T flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
Brown ground beef, onions and garlic. Drain. Add all other ingredients and simmer stirring occasionally. More flour may be added to get desired consistency. I used corn starch the first time I made it and it turned out okay. I mixed 2 T of cornstarch in a tiny bit of water and then added it to the meat mixture. This helps keep it from getting lumpy. The longer it simmered the thicker it got.
I used Sunflour Mills Gluten Free Roll mix in 4 in. ramekins to make my own "hamburger buns". I still used a fork and knife to eat mine as they were pretty messy but they smelled like I remembered and tasted just as good too. The kids thought they were great!!
I Needed This More Than I Realized…
3 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment