Friday, July 24, 2009

Roasted Chicken, Squash, Green beans

I served this dinner for me and my kids, as my husband is not fond of squash. I've never actually tried it so this was a new experience for me. I felt that it was too sweet. I felt like I was eating pumpkin pie out of the crust. I would prepare it more for a dessert in the future I think. I ended up just freezing it all and will search for a yummy recipe later.

Roasted Chicken - I used Tyson chicken which I'm thinking I may have reacted to. I have always used them in the past, but the package didn't exactly say that it was free of antibiotic and hormones. It was one of those..."I need something for dinner and hit the store that was closest". I absolutely must plan ahead and shop ahead in order to eat better. Anyway, I just used some Mexican type spices (cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and Oregano) and rubbed it into the chicken then roasted it. It is always very yummy and a favorite for our family. Plus you get the wonderful leftovers. After dinner, I threw the carcass in a stock pot with celery, carrots, fresh basil and oregano, dried thyme and rosemary and simmered it while my hubby and I watched a movie. Now I've got Chicken broth ready that isn't loaded with cane juice. I'm thinking Soup:)

Green beans - These were fresh green beans and my what a treat. I just cooked them in canola oil. However, I think they were a little too crunchy. Perhaps next time I would blanche them first or something. I added some garlic salt and pepper as well.

No comments: