Friday, December 26, 2008

Ponderings of 2008

This posting comes as a result of the "Christmas Blues". The realization that the presents you spent so much time thinking about, buying, and wrapping are opened and thoughtlessly scattered around the house; the Christmas goodies are almost gone, and the fresh snow of Christmas day is slowly melting away. It makes you want to sit like a bum, watching "It's a wonderful life" whilst stuffing your face with stale Chex mix. Hence, I have my big band Christmas music serenading me as I type away on this fine twenty-sixth day of beautiful, still-snowy December. Oh yeah... stuffing my face with leftover fudge. (I'll pay for that later). I was pondering just moments ago about this past year as I caught up on the kitchen duties. (The dish fairy was getting a little behind so I thought I'd help her out:)

I'm going to open up and be vulnerable with you all. I don't even know who all I'm opening up to as I write this, but maybe it will be a blessing and encouragement to some as we all decide which direction we want to go in this New Year of 2009. Lord, search my hearts and try my reins. Show me where a change is needed and give me faith to know you will guide me through 2009, as you did in 2008. You have never failed me and never will.

The blessings the trials and, though I know I'm blogging this a little early as New Year's is still a few days off, I just needed to gather my thoughts a little. I have to syke myself up for my "New Year's resolutions" a week in advance to be sure that I actually follow up on them. I'm one of those who must write absolutely EVERYTHING down. Even my resolutions. It was very special looking through my hope chest and finding my resolutions from years gone by. Boy that was a slap in the face, as some of those things I'm still fighting to overcome today.

The worldly resolutions of eating healthier, losing weight, spending less,etc. never really get me as much as when I look at where I am spiritually and what I have done for the cause of Christ in 2008. Talk about a major wake up call!!! I find that I go through each and everyday just to GET THROUGH the day and don't really think about the things that matter on a DAILY basis. Then when I step back and evaluate my life I'm shocked at how little I have accomplished. Okay, I'm not a complete loser...despite what some may think (and I'm the hardest on my self), but I can do better. After all when I think of what Christ did for me especially this time of year, it humbles me to think of what I have done for him.

Am I going to take someone to heaven with me? Will it be my kids?
Am I a witness everyday? Is it a tract in the hands of a stranger or a letter to lost family?
Am I in God's word everyday? Even if only a couple of chapters?
Am I on my knees everyday? Am I prayerful all day long?
Am I heaven minded? Looking for his appearing?
Am I patient with my kids? A good example? Teaching them kindness?
Am I teaching my kids of Christ? Are they hearing the bible stories at home?
Am I of a merry heart? It is a medicine for me and my family?
Am I of a bitter spirit in my heart? Tearing apart the hopes and happiness of my family?

In a word....Am I REAL? Is my life a REAL testimony of Christ? Is that obvious to those around me even strangers? Do they see a permanent smile on my face and not the kind that is forced, but a genuine smile of kindness, happiness, and contentment about where God has brought me. Happy to be serving.....serving Jesus and others. (That is probably my biggest struggle)

So to start...some of my favorite thing:) A poem I wrote during Thanksgiving about the many things I owe thanks for. However, as a child of God knows, this is not even the tip of the iceburg.

To God be the glory, to God I give thanks.
Firstly for mercy,but also for grace.
For without either, no hope for my soul.
But my sins are all gone. Christ's blood made me whole.

To God be the glory, for sacrifice made.
By peace-loving soldiers; few are so brave.
Their lives, loves, and dreams, they laid on the alter.
Their courage waned not, their faith never faltered.

To God be the glory, for God-fearing Mama's.
Words tender and kind, submission to Papa.
To God be the glory for Daddy's so strong.
Reading his Bible, guarding from harm.

Most of all I give glory, and thanks be to God
For the faith-testing trials in this world where I trod.
When Satan pronounces me, to weak to fight.
God grants my soul peace and a glimmer light.
Then His strength overcomes me, His power through prayer.
His kind outstretched arms have always been there.


As the theme of these stanza's state...To GOD be the glory, for well....everything. Even the bad stuff. I realized this as I was chatting with my grandma today. Even in the things we think are bad in our life. God is using these for good. Even....now get this...even when we make a mess of things. God can use it for good. WOW!!! Let me ponder that for a moment....or two, or three. What an amazing God. Yet we...I...treat him like a do. Like a genie to grant me all my wishes. Sounds like Santa Clause. Hello dummy!! Santa didn't die for my sins. Sometimes I'm such an idiot. Maybe it is just me. Never mind I don't want to know if it is just me. Ha ha!!

So as I ponder a year gone by, and faster than I would have liked, I remember a few of the special memories:

January: Remembering the establishing of the Nihart Nest. Our anniversary Jan. 10th.
February: Justin and Shane's birthdays. My favorite guys in the world.
March: The birth of our third baby on March 3rd. Natasha Christine. New Truck!!! well SUV
April: My 25th birthday....AGH a quarter of a century!!
May: Preaching Conference! Many decisions made!!
June: Brooke's birthday. My pretty, special, princess
July: Gee....I've got nothing. I was busy with all the activities that summer brings I guess.
August: The fun of summer. Sunny days at the beach with the kids.
September: Shane's back surgery, and the days we spent together. Starting Preschool :)
October: Playing nurse to my hobbling hubby!
November: Thanksgiving of course. Probably my favorite of holidays.
December: Obviously...Christmas and the prospects of a new year.

So this brings me to my New Year's Resolutions for 2009. Posting these perhaps will keep me accountable to keep them.

1. Most important, to stay faithful to reading my Bible everyday in personal devotions.
2. Spending at least 15-30 minutes in prayer. Literally on my knees during personal devotions.
3. A conscious and daily decision to have a merry heart.
4. Make every moment with family and friends memorable. It could be the last.
5. Read to my kids from God's word daily and pray with them.
6. Hug and kiss my kids at least three times a day (not including bedtime)
7. Plan a special date night for my hubby and I at least once a month.
8. Blog at least once a month.

Well, there they are in black and white for all to see and remind me of. Thank you to family and friends who have made this a memorable year and God bless in 2009.

2 comments:

Cheryl Anderson said...

Well what can I say. You have blossomed into a remarkable woman and because you are so close to yourself, you don't even see it. But; I, your mother, does. I'm very proud of you and I will be praying for you and your family as I always do. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I loved your poem. XOXOXO

Miss Melissa said...

I will pray for you, to stick to your resolutions. Its a hard thing to be honest with yourself, and see your shortcomings, but this is exactly what you are doing. I am sure the Lord will bless you, and help you each step of the way. ;) We all have moments, and days like you talk about in this post. But as long as you try your best, because Lord knows there are many people out there that dont try at all. I do love some of your resolutions too. :)
May the Lord bless you, in 2009 and always. I love you. :)
Melissa