Friday, December 26, 2008

My Hubby's Heart - Massage


In relation to resolution Number 7. I came up with this. Some may think I'm a little eccentric in the things I do for my husband, but I thoroughly enjoy getting creative and pondering what fun things we can do together on a limited budget. I figure that he is fighting the world on a daily basis and all the temptaions that it brings so I do my best to keep him happy at home. We'll just leave it at that ;)

When my hubby arrives home from slaying dragons all day, there is nothing I want more than to warm his heart and his muscles. With a soothing, relaxing massage you can do both. It shows kindness and concern for his comfort and health too.

I researched different kinds of massage a while ago and found a few books at the library. I was able to come up with quite a few. A good morning massage, athlete's massage, holiday back rub, and birthday massage. Most of these range from 10 to 30 minutes. I find it very relaxing for myself as well, when using the rubbing motions that they suggest in the books it relaxes my hands and arms.

A while back I started researching "Hot Rock Massage", due to finding some fantastic, flat rocks at a state park. I had been looking for the perfect rocks for a while and perhaps I should have looked elsewhere as I'm not sure if it's a legal thing taking rocks from a state park. (It runs in the family I guess...inside joke :) So here are my findings. We have tried this twice and it has been heavenly.

Things You’ll Need:
Flat, round stones of various sizes
Hot stone pot, stock pot, or crock pot
Slotted ladle
Massage oil

Step1-Place the rocks into the pot filled with water and heat to approximately 140 degrees. Once you have remove the rocks from the pot, their temperature will fall to 120 degrees. (The water from our kitchen sink gets pretty hot so I don't even have to heat the rocks. you could use a crock pot too I suppose.)

Step2-Lay the person receiving the massage face down on a flat surface with the back and lower spine exposed for the massage. Carefully apply the massage oil over the person's back, spreading it evenly and not too heavily.

Step3-Using the slotted ladle, remove the stones from the heated water. Place the wet stones into a thick towel to dry them, and then gently place the stones on the subject's back. Make sure the temperature is not too hot for them. It should feel comforting, not painful. (I usually drain the water after letting the rocks sit for a while and place them in a towel lined bucket. I then cover them with another towel to keep them warm. I don't know about you, I don't want a ton of water in my bedroom.)

Step4-Place the larger stones on the larger parts of the body, such as the hips and shoulders. Place the smaller stones along the back. Keep the stones in place for 20 minutes or until they lose their warmth. Begin by massaging the upper limbs. Get the limbs loose while the back relaxes under the stones.

Step5-Remove the stone from the base of the neck. You must be careful because the stones will fall occasionally. You can also work on the back of the head at this time.

Step6-Move down to the legs. Apply the massage oil in long, smooth strokes. Use your knuckles while massaging to elongate and stretch the muscles.

Step7-Remove the stones from the subjects's back. Start with the heavier stones and return them to the water. As you remove the stones, you will see spots where they have heated the muscles. Gently apply more massage oil. Do the entire back, and then begin the massage.

Step8-Finish with the "farewell strokes." These are the last strokes of the massage. Work all the way up and down the back, and end with the neck and the head. Return to the neck a few times, as this is one of the most stressed areas in the body. Finish with a head massage.

Don't forget the feet :) When I rub my husbands feet I have him wrapped around my little finger. He just melts. I received a foot rub from an angel once (Elisabeth Erberich). I was pregnant and oh my goodness...it was amazing! It melts away every stress you may have had during the day.


Also a few rose petals and relaxing music can really contribute to your massage moments!

Happy relaxing to you and your spouse!!

3 comments:

Cheryl Anderson said...

Wow. That's really cool, You amaze me.

Miss Melissa said...

How sweet of you. :) I love this idea, but unfortunately dan doesnt. lol... Oh well. Haha
xoxo

Anonymous said...

awe shucks i'm blushing. That's the first time i've been called an angel :X heeheehee