Friday, August 8, 2008

Old Navy

This last week I had the privilege and pleasure of visiting my sister Tiffany in Oak Harbor, Washington. She joined the navy in January of 2006 and has recently married Jason Lee. The last time I saw her was in December for her wedding which took place in San Diego, California. Tiff and Jason are very happy together and very in love. God has truly blessed her with an amazing, fun-loving guy. He is on deployment at the moment and is to arrive home in October.

He is on the USS DDG 86 Shoup. Click on this link to view Jason's ship. http://www.shoup.navy.mil/default.aspx

She is on an ocean surveillance ship. Click on this link to view her ship. http://www.msc.navy.mil/inventory/ships.asp?ship=119&type=OceanSurveillanceShip

I went to visit her for the primary purpose of helping her around the house as she is expecting their first baby around March or April. We also worked on a surprise for Jason for his much anticipated return. I'll post pictures later as I don't want to give it away. Tiffany has been such a sweet wife with all her little surprises and ideas for spoiling her hubby. It has made me stop and take inventory. They have a very special relationship. I think it is because they have to make things work across the great waters. It would be rough on anyone, but I must say these days it is so much easier with the advantage of cell phones and email. They are able to talk everyday sometimes twice a day. It was funny when Jason would call because he was going to bed and it would be two in the afternoon for us:)

Tiff had to take her kittens to the vet so I got to step foot on the base and see the harbor a little more up close and personal. Here are some of the pics I got from the road. I wasn't sure if I could use my camera on the base. This is one of the oldest navy bases in the United States. They had plaques from the 1940's. It was a very neat feeling to stand in a spot where sailors of old have stood. Maybe my own Grandpa's.


It made me think about all the men who have served in military past. For instance, my husband's Grandpa Nihart. He is a retired navy sailor and my does he have stories to tell. Grandma too, tells of how lonely it was and how she awaited with great anticipation each and every letter. How special this relationship must have been with those kind of trials and separations. One could look at them now after fifty years of marriage and say that they are one of a kind. (And not just cause they are Niharts...ha ha) They have a different kind, a deeper kind of love. My Grandpa McKinley also served in the navy and He and my Grandma are the same, such a sweet love they share. They know how to work through the rough spots.What a testimony and immense example to us youngly weds!!

So I want to send out a thank you to all the military men and women and their families. May God bless you all for your service and for the sacrifices you make. I appreciate so much your willingness to serve, and give yourselves (including some of your family memories) for this country.

No comments: