It was fun for Jesus birthday to fall on the Lord's day this year. The kids got all new fancy outfits from my mom and I also enjoyed dressing formal for the special day. Shane didn't enjoy the dressing up part, but he liked it that I dressed up :)
Christmas is always crazy but so much fun. All the year long hype of Christmas is too much for it to only last one day...so we make a week out of it :) Well, actually 12 days...but that's another story. The 23rd is our first get together with the Taylor side. On our way home from that we sometimes go look at lights, then come home and have a sleep over in the living room under the twinkling lights of the tree. We get our "gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, hot chocolate, chex mix, and sweets and watch a Christmas movie together. The morning of the 24th we open presents from each other and from my family. It is our special day with just the six of us (wow...six). We spend the day in our lounge clothes and play with our new toys. Around five we pack overnight bags and head to Shane's parents for Christmas dinner and a "blizzard". Whether there is snow or not we plan on a blizzard so we can stay overnight like we need an excuse. It reminds us of our past Christmases in Sun Valley plus it is so much fun. The last couple of years we have had the Grandma's over that same night for dinner and Christmas light viewing. Later that evening we get home from looking at lights and watch another holiday movie with yet even more "allergy friendly" snacks then hit the hay. No one sleeps in on Christmas Day...though Dad Nihart tries :) This year we got up earlier so we were ready for church. Dad Nihart reads the Christmas story from the Bible, we open stockings and presents and have a huge breakfast. We then head to Grandma Nihart's for a late lunch and more presents and Nihart fun!! We are so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends and such spectacular Christmases.
Now, I didn't grow up with this kind of activity around Christmas. The Anderson Christmases were very special (especially the baking day...my favorite) We had our own traditions and some of them Shane and I have carried over. You learn to give and take as you find what traditions work for your family. Christmas for Shane was always like I mentioned above but we've thrown in some of my traditions too. I think our kids will have some very special memories.
I just want to say I love my family and missed you so much this year as I do every year during the holidays. I thank God for his generous blessings this time of year and all the year long. He has been so good to our family far more than we deserve.
I Needed This More Than I Realized…
3 days ago




1 comment:
It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas. I teared up at the end because I always miss you during the holidays, too. I'm very thankful for the Christian woman you have become, and I'm thankful God gave you such a nice in-law family to be a part of. Love you.
Post a Comment