As a mama of almost 5, blogging is not my first priority. However, I am taking this opportunity, as Shane and I have a two day date and he's playing some Xbox, to update you all on the happenings. First of all, The kids are growing as fast as the zucchini in my garden. This one got a little out of control...I mean the zucchini, though one might wonder.
This kids had the nerve to turn 4 in March!!!
This was her cake of choice. It was strawberry inside.
Speaking of birthdays...Brookie turned 7 and Justin turned 8. Don't have pics of those events, except for Justin's cake, but I have Brookie in training as family photographer so as not to miss anymore kodak moments. Justin keeps rubbing it in that he will be nine soon and that he is in third grade and gets to go to camp next year...and his list goes on and on for which I promptly give him a loving wedgie.
This year was my first attempt at a real garden. I was very hesitant but as Shane kept telling me, "If you water it, it will grow". Sure enough though I did have to cut back on the water. I'm over-zealous with everything. We have had enjoyed peas (Spencer's favorite especially since we did all the shelling), green beans by the gallon bucket full each time we picked, onions, carrots, lettuce, radishes, peppers, zucchini...oh the zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, one lonely, cantaloupe, and as pictured below...Corn on the cob! We are still waiting on watermelon...not sure if that will happen, pumpkin, and acorn squash.
The rouge zucchini plants in the background are taking over everything. We'll have zucchini bread for years to come. The marigolds on the left run all the way down the driveway. They are seeds from our old house. They pretty much made a hedge. They are huge and look so pretty!!! They were a good "first year" choice and I know they'll come back next year. They are hardy so even I can't kill them and they smell amazing :)
We've been so blessed and enjoyed our new house so much! These are some new additions in our "Moroccan themed" bedroom and bath. Towel racks add so much and they are so convenient too :)
A curtain for a door. Doesn't keep out the stink as well ha ha, but I wanted lots of fabric and the door was missing anyway.
Justin had his 2nd Tang Soo do tournament and Brookie has started working towards her black belt as of June. They both love it and it is great for PE in school. It is funny to watch the difference in how they do their forms as Brookie's is more like dancing. Ha ha.
Yes, he is doing the splits. He is the only one in his class of four who can. In this pic, he isn't all the way down but yesterday he goes, "Mama, watch" and jumped...yes, jumped down in to full side splits and hit the floor. Yikes!!! I could only dream.
This pic is blurry but the kick is sooooo cool.
He got to spar for the first time at this tournament and did great...He is ADORABLE in this!!! Got the Nihart cheeks showing through in this pic.
The bigger boys went on a backpacking trip for two days and two nights in August. The littlest boy grabbed a backpack and was standing on the scale weighing it like he was going too. Soon enough, my son. It was so cute. He always jumps into whatever the guys are doing and they are good about including him. Even when it is work he was out helping Papa pull the weeds that had died (by sprinkling salt on them...who knew) in the cracks in the sidewalk. When they play Xbox too, he has his own controller that they get out for him and he pretends he's playing with all the sound effects included. Such a little man.
Other than a few major highlights...to be covered below...it has just been a fun-filled summer. I'm realizing more and more how much I dread winter. If we had snow more often it might be different but I just love the outdoors, the dirt, the plants, the warmth. There is a special connection you get with Lord when you have a garden I think...maybe it is just me, but when you work the soil, plant, and water things and see Him grow them it just gives you a special feeling. He is so good!! But alas, all good things must come to an end and the end of our summer is fast approaching. We've enjoyed some good old summer fun such as...
Making your own swimming pool out of the toy tub...
Relaxing on the front porch on any given day while watching birds or the occasional thunderstorm...
And you must have the obligatory sitting in the dirt day. Well every day for Spencer is that way. It dawned on me just now...this could be why my pansy plant died. I wondered why it was all bent and crispy looking.
MAJOR HIGHLIGHTS
A new puppy...Was this a good idea?
Considering I'm delivering baby number 5 in two weeks...give or take 10 days since my boys are always late. (don't mind the bed...it was sheet washing day and who needs to see my face when you have a cute baby bump)
But she's so cute...We picked her up last Friday. She is a Lab retriever mixed with sneaky neighbor dog. She is three months old on the 6th of September, already house trained, and really a joy to have. Especially, Shane can tell you, since she is holding her pee more than six hours :) He had dog duty at night since I trained during the day and soon enough I won't be sleeping more than two hours at a time with a new baby. I suspect she has some sort of herding breed in her as she likes to herd the kids around. They love her and are very helpful with her training. My goal is to have her inside a lot of the time so she can develop good manners...plus we haven't broken her of digging yet so she isn't allowed out alone. We take her everywhere, but she gets a little car sick so not too far :) After two days of deliberation we decided on the name Sophie. The girls and I are looking forward to dressing her up in bonnets and bows much to the boys chagrin, but I did tell them I would make her a doggie backpack so she can go camping with them. Plus I'm sick of carrying her water, poop bags, and toys to the park...
We had another major highlight, I will post about later. Our second family vacation thanks to a Wedding on the Anderson side of the family.















2 comments:
Aw... Sophie! I like it :) Better than Booger Head or whatever Liz wanted to call her haha.
The sitting around of the husking corn cobs sure did look familiar. Great update!
Post a Comment