Friday, May 6, 2011

Kitchen update

 We made a delicious granola from our highlights magazine. It was one of the easiest recipes to make with small children.


 It turned out pretty good but the kids didn't care for it plain. I gave them some with milk and they loved it. Here is the recipe. I want to try it with honey next time.

Homemade Granola
Preheat oven to 300
Cover rimmed cookie sheet with foil and spray with vegetable oil.
Mix together:
3 cups Gluten free oatmeal :)
1/2 cup black raisins
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup maple syrup

Make sure liquids coat dry ingredients. Spread mixture on the cookie sheet. Press down onmixture until it's about 1/2 in. thick.
Bake 20 minutes then turn cookie sheet. Continue baking or 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
When mixture is cool break into small pieces. Store in covered container for 1 week.

This last picture is the new brainstorm I had for easier, simple home school day lunches. The lunch you see here is a tasty grilled cheese on sprouted wheat bread with a side of green apples. We had to overload the kids systems with wheat before they got tested so this was a special treat. It was the first grilled cheese the kids have ever had. Is that sad?

2 comments:

Jamie Kay said...

Yummy, I'll have to try the granola recipe. Yummy looking grilled cheese too, poor kiddos :D

Unknown said...

I LOVE Granola. I printed that recipe out and will try it soon!